Blogs > Sun Insider

News and quick-hit commentary from around mid-Michigan ... from the Morning Sun.

Saturday, May 12, 2007

The hero comes home


The family of U.S. Marine Master Sgt. Michael Wert, from left, Debbie, Michael, Katrina and Rochelle, accept the U.S. flag that covered Sgt. Wert's casket before his burial at Riverside Cemetery in Alma.

U.S. Marine Master Sgt. Michael Wert died a hero.
The Alma native died attempting to rescue two boys who were being carried out to sea by a rip current off the coast of North Carolina, where he was stationed.
He was laid to rest Saturday in his home town with full military honors.


The Rev. Phil Friedrick, pastor of Alma United Methodist Church, leads the Marine Corps honor guard carrying Sgt. Wert's casket down the steps of the church.



Katrina, Rochelle, Michael and Debbie Wert leave the church after Sgt. Wert's funeral.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Mike Wert was a good friend at CENTCOM and my roommate in Qatar. I remember one time, we'd worked such long hours down in Tampa after 9-11, Mike was dog tired but I'd promised him I'd help him work on his hand-to-hand combat certification. I said, "come on, Mike, let's do this at my house since we live near one another." We went to my place and got something cold from the fridge, and just sat down and decompressed for a minute. Then we went out into the light evening rain in my backyard and commenced to toss one another around. My wife said she could feel the ground thumping all the way inside the house, but Mike and I weren't hurting. We were enjoying a few minutes of blowing off steam while not being near the CENTCOM building for a while. It was my pleasure to certify him a few weeks later. A picture of Mike and me hangs over my desk at home. Not a day goes by that I don't think of the experiences we shared. I miss my old roommate, and my condolences go out to his family and friends. All of the Marine Corps intelligence community weeps this week. Semper Fi, old friend.

1:21 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Debbie and family, Jeff and I were deeply saddened to learn of this great tragedy. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Please pass on our thoughts also to Matt.

Jessica (Shaull) and Jeff Parkes
AHS-class of 88 and 85- Kansas

9:52 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was friends with the family and my thought and prayers are with you. In the wake of this tragedy, I pray that the two young boys rescued will take this life changing incident and their second chance to live up to be at least half the man Michael Wert was.

8:24 AM 
Blogger Unknown said...

Semper Fi Top

5:27 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohh Rahh MSgt, there isn't a day we don't think about you. Thank you for all you did support all your marines no matter if we were stateside or overseas; not only the service members but our families as well. Debbie and children you are forever in our prayers.
Semper Fi and OhhRahh

4:51 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home