Blogs > Sun Insider

News and quick-hit commentary from around mid-Michigan ... from the Morning Sun.

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Black and white

If you've cruised through parts of Mt. Pleasant's downtown lately, you might notice that some of the maple leaves have a black blotches on the leaves.

I noticed it a couple of years ago while living north of downtown. Now, living just west of downtown (between downtown and the Chippewa River south of Broadway), I can see it again.

From what I've gathered, it appears to be something called Tar Spots. Not lethal, probably no need to worry.

On the other hand, if you've got a garden, or have driven past a garden or farmer's field and seen the cucurbit leaves wilting under a dense sheet of white ... it's a mildew, and it's killing the plants.

Most of my squash is already gone. The summer squash especially has taken a beating (almost luckily, since I've got so much of it these days I'm just giving it away), and although I ought to get enough winter -- acorn and butternut especially -- squash to last me the winter, those will soon succumb, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home